I had a nightmare

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

I had a nightmare

Post by Kozak »

Real life: homesearch adware has been hooked to my browser IE for like 2 months. It causes slow start times for about:blank and random pop ups. 3 days ago I installed Firefox and everything was gone.

Nightmare: Tonight I had a nightmare. I started up Firefox and homesearch was there i was all integrated with the browser and I couldn't get rid of it. Random pop ups everywhere! Aaaaaaah! What has become of me?!
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

LOL Man... :lol:
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Maarten, I think you need to see a doctor ;)

Weird enough I'm downloading lots and lots of things but I never got a single piece of spyware on my computer. I'm not running any antivirus or antispyware tools and still, I'm never affected. I know which websites to avoid i guess.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I think the most dangerous sites to visit are ROMs download site. At school I got like 3 or 4 viruses by downloading Super Mario Bros 3.
ImageImageImageImage
teoryn

Post by teoryn »

Good thing it was only a nightmare.

What have you done to clean your computer of spyware/adware? If you have something like that on your browser you could very well have a lot of other stuff on your system.
You've seen the posts, now see the sites!
http://hiddenuniverse.blogspot.com
http://teoryn.deviantart.com
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Microsoft's new AntiSpyware is the business. It cleans a lot more than Spybot and does it in a far less intrusive manner.
The thing I like about the new release of IE (IE6SP2) is the ability to just switch off BHO. That way if someone writes a malicious installer (not even IE related - a lot of freeware ships with spy/adaware) you can just stop it from running.
As it stands I'm totally spyware/adaware free :wink:
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Come on, it's not hard to keep them out. Using a firewall and the only non-bloated graphical browser ;) seems to do the trick for me. BHO? What's that? :D
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:Come on, it's not hard to keep them out. Using a firewall and the only non-bloated graphical browser ;) seems to do the trick for me. BHO? What's that? :D
Browser Helper Object - plugins (Java, Flash &c), toolbars (search bars), download managers &c.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I guess the smiley wan't enough here. Tough luck for me.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:I guess the smiley wan't enough here. Tough luck for me.
Sorry, were you makign a joke? My sense of humour is at ground level at the moment.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

well, luckily firefox doesn't have them stupid search bars and crap. Even better: i can use free progs that fuck up my IE and i don't mind, i don't use it anyway ^_^.
Thanks a lot, Mozilla!
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I've already seen my Mozilla browsers hijacked.
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

leofox wrote:well, luckily firefox doesn't have them stupid search bars and crap. Even better: i can use free progs that fuck up my IE and i don't mind, i don't use it anyway ^_^.
Thanks a lot, Mozilla!
That's so true. :) I don't use that Microsoft one. Even with it, everyone has spyware. I'd rather use two: Spybot, and Ad-aware.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

leofox wrote:well, luckily firefox doesn't have them stupid search bars and crap. Even better: i can use free progs that fuck up my IE and i don't mind, i don't use it anyway ^_^.
Thanks a lot, Mozilla!
Amen! :roll: :wink: I use Firefox :shock:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"