Do you Google?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Better than MSN and Yahoo which both try and imitate the Google Interface. Ugh :evil:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

benryves wrote:
Spengo wrote:Google = great and no ads
Excuse me?

Those look like ads to me... :lol:
yeah, but at least those do pop up and float around in your face with obnoxious flashig colors. :P They are nice and normal links that aren't in the way of anything and don't burn the eyes.
Last edited by Spengo on Sat 29 Jan, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bananas... o.o
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Yeah it blends in well. Not intrusive.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

I have 10,000 invites in Gmail because, ya know, it's VERY selective
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

http://e3emu.com/Error.htm hehe :o click on this link. One time, a short time ago, I was googleing for bridge designs for the Westpoint Bridge Contest with my friend. We clicked on this site, and, well, see for yourself. :P
Last edited by Spengo on Sat 29 Jan, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bananas... o.o
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Hey I just checked Atlavista and it's quality suprised me. Even though they've obviously taken Google's format their search results place maxcoderz higher when you type in TI83. I always knew google is faulty!
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Kartoo :) Naw, Google is the fastest and it gives me what I want (references to programming which goes loads quicker than msdn).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Spengo wrote:yeah, but at least those do pop up and float around in your face with obnoxious flashig colors. :P They are nice and normal links that aren't in the way of anything and don't burn the eyes.
I thought that sort of advertising had died out in 1997? :wink:

coelurus: The new MSN search runs a lot faster here than Google - Google takes ~2 seconds to process the request, the new MSN one is almost instant. And of course, one feature of the new MSN search kicks ass - it ties into Encarta.

Still, I'll stick to AltaVista - the music/video searches and translator are too useful to give up.

I reckon that in the "Search engine wars" it'll be a fight between Google and MSN - mainly owing to browsers. The MSN search will no doubt be integrated into future versions of IE, and Google seems to posess Firefox (another reason I steer clear of it - it kept reverting to Google searches for some crazy reason).

Kozak: "Even though they've obviously taken Google's format..."
Don't all search engines look like that anyway? If you mean the front page, here's 1996's AltaVista: http://web.archive.org/web/199610221748 ... vista.com/
There are only so many ways you can arrange a long text box and "submit" button on a page, after all!
If you mean results pages - well, what other way is there to present results? Unless you mean like this: http://sea.search.msn.co.uk/preview.aspx?&q=ticalc.org (the old MSN search), which is a bit bandwidth intensive!
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

What is wrong with firefox!?!?! Open souce programs are usually better than others. (I also use openoffice btw) MSN is evil; Google works and the ads asren't annoying. and last time I checked: 0.09 seconds = how long google searches
Last edited by Spengo on Sat 29 Jan, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bananas... o.o
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Spengo wrote:WTF?!?!? What is wrong with firefox!?!?! Open souce = uber. (I also use openoffice btw) MSN = major suckage; Google = much betterness. and last time I checked: 0.09 seconds = how long google searches
I have lots of problems with Firefox, such as long loading times, instability (under Windows 2K at least, not tried on XP), reverting to the Google search when you least expect it, peculiar behaviour when trying to highlight and copy text. I don't have a problem with anyone else trying to use it though. These are just some of the things it does to stop me from using it.
I have to admit, it has one good feature. When I'm at work I have to use a screen at 1024x768 and have a lot of Windows open, so tabbed browsing is nice. However, at 1280x1024 that becomes a useless gimmick to me, especially as I only tend to do one thing at a time. And if I wanted tabbed browsing, I could always use Maxthon. I've never had a problem with IE, so if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
The argument that "Open souce = uber." is a bad one. Ever heard of the Gimp? Yeah, so have I. It's utter crap and wholly unusable under Windows. THAT'S "Open Source" - but it doesn't make it good at all. Then again, there are some Open Source things that are far better than their closed-source "equivalents". However, you could argue that because people are trying to sell their closed-source products they have to make them very good to warrant the price tag. Why else do people still buy Photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio, MS Office, MS Windows, &c if there are free "equivalents" available? Open source is an extra feature, not what makes a product good.

How did you time Google? I wasn't going by the apparant time the results came back, not that little timer thingy.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Spengo wrote:WTF?!?!? What is wrong with firefox!?!?! Open souce = uber. (I also use openoffice btw) MSN = major suckage; Google = much betterness. and last time I checked: 0.09 seconds = how long google searches
Spengo, stop spamming our boards with this rubbish. If you are posting something, it should contribute to the topic in a good way like something humoristic or intelligent, which are both hard to find in your posts.

1) If you're quoting someone, _dont_ quote full screen images, we have seen them.

2) Dont make 2-word posts like "http://e3emu.com/Error.htm hehe"

3) The use childish and unintelligent things like "?!?!?!", "WTF", "über", "major suckage" are very irritating, also in the Off Topic section. Remember that this is a programmer's board, we're not the average "gaming board" or whatevever. If you're not a grown-up, at least act like you are one ;). If you're not comfortable with that, find another board.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Hokay, A couple of things. First of all, on both my windows 98 machine AND my window XP machine, Firefox has a shorter loading time. Secondly, so far, the only problems I've had with firefox are that some pages don't display properly. And those pages are one made by stupid people who don't bother to check if their web pages work in browsers other than explorer :P. Thirdly, okay, so not all open source progs are good, but neither is all paid software. (ever heard of windows ME?). Open Source means that anyone and everyone can make changes if they wish, and if they are good changes, then it is published on the web. Also, I think the only reason why people buy microsoft office stuff is because they don't know any better and haven't searched for alternatives. The only microsoft office product I would use above an open source one is photoshop, because OpenOffice doesn't have a good photoediting program....yet. Finally, AltaVista is a good search engine, I'm just so used to using google for everything that I do it automatically. MSN really is evil in my opinion. It is just as bad as yahoo is about flashing annoying ads that burn the eyes. Btw, sorry for the spam duck. I'm just an open source die hard. :P
bananas... o.o
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Spengo wrote:The only microsoft office product I would use above an open source one is photoshop...
Whoah, Microsoft didn't make Photoshop, it's Adobe :lol:
I've tried to use OpenOffice and it's a bit "meh" at best. I'll stick to the real thing for the moment. Though, having seen the quality of Corel's image editing software, Word Perfect might be interesting...

How is MSN "evil"? I'm interested in this. I don't see many pentagrams on the MSN site. Neither do I see "Register your soul with a .net passport" on the front page.

I get all the MS software I need for free (legally) via MSDNAA, and I have to say the quality of it is top-notch. And no, it isn't because I haven't tried the alternatives. I have to use Firefox at home to check my GMail as "the idiots who wrote it couldn't be bothered to let it work on IE5" (see, it works both ways!). I have (tried) to use the Gimp. I developed my website using PHP and MySQL server, two good products. My (real) webserver runs Linux, which does a really good job of it, using Apache as the webserver software.

Open source, closed source, Microsoft, Apple, Mr. Torvalds, whatever - each have their place, each have their merits. Each have their benefits, each have their problems. You do have a choice, after all. The one thing that does suck, however, is pointless fanboyism. In all honesty, I have seen people saying things like "Oh noes! Not installing that, it's proprietry!!!".
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Spengo wrote:http://e3emu.com/Error.htm hehe :o click on this link. One time, a short time ago, I was googleing for bridge designs for the Westpoint Bridge Contest with my friend. We clicked on this site, and, well, see for yourself. :P
LOL, reminds me of the Paranoid Android from the hitchhikers guide to teh galaxy
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I have to say that IE is utter crap compared to Firefox:
- IE is slow,
- has alot of leakholes which spyware uses to hook themselves to the broswer,
- hasn't got the good standard (google, msn, ebay, dictionary) search like Firefox,
- resets explorer when new plugins are installed,
- quicktime can't stream on IE (ok this might be personal but I like streaming).
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version