Desolate Re-write

Moderator: tr1p1ea

kalan_vod
Calc King

Re: Desolate Re-write

Post by kalan_vod »

Haha, that new alien is rocking out (head banging)! You are just teasing us, don't make us post like at RS in the zelda forum (jking :P )
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Worked on it a little bit more today, fixed a bug with sprite reflections, a little more progress on the inventory and added some more items. There are more rooms, but im just getting everything working before i start decking them all out with objects/items/puzzles etc.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow, you have to re-write everything? Hopefully the data will be workable..

If you re-release this (ticalc etc.) Will this be a app or two programs again? I assume that you will have it in two programs if not in app form (GS sprite data). Hope for the best though!
Galandros

Post by Galandros »

I like to rewrite my code when I see it after gaining much more skill. But if I had a already good code, it turns tedious. Anyway I will wait to play Desolate the first time in the remake.

Advance at your will.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

No code from the original is used in this version, and the only data that will be carried across is the text by the look of it. This will also be program, not an APP and it will be self contained; it wont be split into 2 files like the original :).

Hopefully i can push it out quickly enough :).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

You've made excellent progress thus far and I look forwards to seeing the use of your 8-level greyscale routines in a dynamic game environment! :) Keep up the good work!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sweet, Glad you can make it into one file!
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

Aww no app. =( Oh well, this is still gonna be freaking awesome!
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Happy to report that im getting at least *something* done everyday. Ive finished the way objects are handled when they are aquired and how they act when executed from the inventory. Adding objects is very simple now and they can have a large range of behaviour. Text routines are almost finished and ive done some code cleanup as well. Ill be working on doors next, im still deciding whether or not to keep the doorcode system or to just require you to find the doorcodes before you can proceed. Maybe change to keys?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I would say keep it the way it is, as that is what we know already..But if it is easier to code, than keys are fine! Glad there is progress!
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

tr1p1ea wrote: Ill be working on doors next, im still deciding whether or not to keep the doorcode system or to just require you to find the doorcodes before you can proceed. Maybe change to keys?
(taking the risk to go off topic)

I remember we had a TI news website with game reviews, and I wrote some of them, including one of Desolate. I don't have any document left (it was owned by someone of Maxcoderz I think). I remember in my review I criticised the fact that you had to type the same passwords again and again, which is funny once but that's all. Moreover the interface was slow and did not use the keys. So in my opinion, the best would be that you find doorcodes and they work right away, a la Doom.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes i do remember the review, it was on calcwebzine which was run by kv83 iirc!

If doorcodes are included they will of course use the keypad. I might go ahead and get it running and then i can always take it out later if its too much of a distraction :).

And speaking of Doom ....... ? :twisted:.
d4vz

Post by d4vz »

I'm glad to see progress on this :)

Desolate was definitely one of the calc games that I was checking every day for progress... how excited I was when the 83+ version finally came out!

And now, instead of playing in my high school classes, I'll be playing this (what looks to be excellent) remake in my college classes.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

I don't mind the door codes, as long as I only have to input them once per door (I don't remember how the original handled it). Perhaps have card keys instead? IE- level 1-X card keys.
If you have the proper card key in your inventory it automatically lets you proceed through doors of that level. If you do not have the proper card key the game will give the message: "This door requires a level X card key"
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

The only grief I had with the old desolate were that the keycodes were entered on a "virtual keypad" on your calc screen. To select the right button you had to move your cursor to that button. If the calc-keys can be used to enter the right code it would be much better than using the directional buttons. The keypad shouldn't dissapear, if you ask me. It added a niffy effect to the game :)