Using Ion

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Batman

Using Ion

Post by Batman »

I need your expertise on this subject... I just got back into messing around with my ti84+, and have become quite comfortable with assembly programming for it... My only major problem is sending to port $11, the lcd.

Is it worth my time trying to crunch code until i get it to display reasonably fast on the screen, or should i just start looking into using ion subroutines (ionfastcopy - i think is one.)
are there any advantages to writing it myself?
im talking about 2 layer -> standard grayscale (4 colors according to istudio)
Eeems

Re: Using Ion

Post by Eeems »

Well I don't know much about asm but I just learned that ionfastcopy does not work in 15mhz mode. So it will be fine if you don't use that mode, but if you intend to use it then it might be a good idea to either build your own or get a good routine from someone.
Here is a link to where I learned this from:
http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php ... t&p=139480
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Batman

Post by Batman »

It seems to me that using ion is the way to go. I peeked at the source of ionfastcopy and my eyes glazed over looking at it. but it makes sense and seems to work very fast. I figure i will start using ion for my upcoming asm game... the first one i hope to finish. :o
Another advantage is that I will save quite a bit of memory calling its routines, not mine.
Do you know if there was ever an actual manual to it? I have found a few tutorials that are very helpful, but not any original documentation... Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :)
Batman

Post by Batman »

... Seems This Place has kinda hit a rough patch.

Either That or this isn't worth discussing! :)

Probably the second one... :dead:
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Batman wrote:Do you know if there was ever an actual manual to it? I have found a few tutorials that are very helpful, but not any original documentation... Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :)
See ionf.z80 for documentation of the Ion routines, though you must have already found it if you've looked at the source for ionFastCopy...

I suggest you read the datasheet for the LCD driver - it'll make much more sense that way!
Batman

Post by Batman »

See ionf.z80 for documentation of the Ion routines, though you must have already found it if you've looked at the source for ionFastCopy...
No, I haven't seen that, really need to though. I found it here.
http://z80-heaven.wikidot.com/direct-input-output

Thanks for the link! - I will look through it

I'm still going with ion for now - guess i might as well post it on the new projects

:oops:
I had it right under my nose... (ionf.z80)
Thanks!